Friday 20 March 2015

Hulisani Ravele shares 7 most important lessons in her life.

TV presenter and voice-over artist Ravele hasbeen working in entertainment since age nine. She shares the crucial lessons she's learnt over the past 18 years.


Prayer changes things. 

Working in entertainment comes with certain unnecessary and morally challenging pressures. However, being a fan of prayer helped me stand firm and say no to anything that wasn’t in line with what I stood for. I started out in TV at age nine and joined YoTV in 2000. Leaving the latter posed what would become the biggest challenge of my life. I was no longer a kid and felt stuck somehow. As someone who’d always been an over-achiever, I felt like I wasn’t achieving any more. I grew in my faith during this time.



Respond what you seek  and the Universe will respond:

If you’re looking for a door to be opened for you, open the door for someone else. Eighty percent of the time I find that our good deeds are returned ten fold. This lesson in particular,is what gets me out of those energy-zapping low points.

Life is a series of choices:

For me, there’s no bigger lesson than this! The ability to say “NO” is a huge accomplishment.When I went into negotiations with the production company responsible for the ANN7 show I Am South African , we intially struggled to reach an agreement. The logical thing for me to do was to walk away because I felt like my worth was not being honoured. They came back to me saying they believed I was worth my asking price.

Comparison is the thief of joy:


After leaving YoTV , I found myself in limbo—the most frustrating place anyone can ever find themselves in. There was all this new up-and-coming talent getting all the cool shows and endorsements. I’d wonder why those opportunities were not coming my way. I stayed
in that unhappy rut until I decided to stop comparing myself to others – and therein lay my
joy.



I serve God of abundance:

I find that competition is a waste of energy because there’s enough for all of us. It’s all
about finding what works for you. It has been a year since I left my stable corporate job of four years to pursue my passion, which is entertainment. And since then, I haven’t had a single struggle. Vuzu approached me to their
voiceovers during V Entertainment and I also
have a few opportunities in the lineup.
Being able to surrender is such a powerful thing:
Having worked from when I was nine years old,
I grew up way quicker than my peers. When
you’re responsible from that young age, you
think that you must always have it together. But
it was after watching an episode of Oprah’s Masterclass a while ago that I learnt that sometimes, it’s okay to say: “I can’t, I’m weak!” Besides, one can’t always lead.

We’re all destined to change lives:

In some way or another, we’re all created with a certain talent and purpose. There’s something that you do, the way that you do it, that is bound to impact someone positively. I’m in the process of putting together a concept for a talk show targeted at young South Africans. I haven’t set a date to it because I want to do it properly. I want young people to walk away #inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment